variable/array element question

I did array=( $(ls -l <file>) )
print $array

and got an error  Hmmmm......
did print ${array[2,9]} and got the expected result: elements 2-9
so zsh didn't like the first element
Experimenting I did

ls -l <file> | while read one two three four etc ; do print $one $two $three ; done
same error

So after using zsh for 2 years , I've just discovered that it doesn't like variables to start with '-' .
Obviously I can use Awk for this example, but I was curious as to why this is?

I have bash and dash installed and neither have a problem with '-', don't have ksh so don't know about it.
Thanks in advance of the answer   -----------------david

Veloci-rapture - when dinosaurs go to heaven.