Re: '$1' indexing.

On 22/12/11 04:11 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
Hmm, you posted exactly this same thing with the subject "bug" on the
20th.  Did you not see the replies?  Yes, it's a bug, and a patch for
it has also been posted.

Ooops! I just joined this list today. I forgot about the previous post, and I didn't even know if it had been received, let alone answered. I did post it on StackOverflow, but that is of course different. Anyway, I see your reply and I understand what's going on. I'm too new to this to have any strong opinion, but it seems to me that the behavior we see would perhaps be good for '$@' where '$0' is implied, but not for an explicit '$1'.

Glad to know that the developers are aware of it, thanks.

FWIW it seems to me that zsh has the 'right idea' when it comes to string splitting. It's true that converting my bash scripts has involved a more laborious coding in zsh (mostly needing to use 'eval'), but that is the price to be paid for keeping variables unbroken unless you specifically ask for the breakdown into words.

So what is the current state of zsh development? How many workers are there? Is zsh ascendant? Is ground being gained against bash?
See http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2011/msg01456.html for explanation
and http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2011/msg01459.html for patch.