Re: Automatically run ls on blank line for faster navigation

On 29 March 2012 22:55, Mitchell Burdette <mitchell.burdette@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I rigged up a function that makes navigation super fast in zsh. If you
> hit enter on a blank line, it runs ls automatically.
>
> Just add the following to your .zshrc:
> auto-ls () {
>    if [[ $#BUFFER -eq 0 ]]; then
>        echo ""
>        ls
>        zle redisplay
>    else
>        zle accept-line
>    fi
> }
> zle -N auto-ls
> bindkey '^M' auto-ls
>
> To get the ^M correct in vim, hit <Ctrl+V><Enter>. You could really
> make this run whatever you want, on any key you want, but I like this
> shortcut in particular (It goes great with autocd!).

A (slightly) more generic way to do it would be

auto-ls () {
   if [[ $#BUFFER -eq 0 ]]; then
       echo ""
       ls
       zle redisplay
   else
       zle .$WIDGET
   fi
}
zle -N accept-line auto-ls
zle -N other-widget auto-ls

This uses the same function to wrap any widget, ie you might want it
on accept-and-hold and accept-line-and-down-history as well, or
something. Maybe not. Note that the . in .$WIDGET is important, or it
will call the wrapper recursively, .foo always calls the builtin
widget ignoring any custom widgets by the same name. (And $WIDGET is
obviously the name of the widget that caused the function to be
called).

--
Mikael Magnusson