Re: completion oddity

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 03:57:45PM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> Sven W. was a clever but highly suggestible university student.  Someone
> said, "Hey, all these possible variations end with the same substring,
> why isn't completion smart enough to fill that in for me?" and Sven
> responded, "OK, now it is that smart," and all the possible side-effects
> were either not considered or considered to be less important than the
> smarts.

Hm.  So maybe undoing that locally is a possibility ... is there some way,
either in a user's configuration or within a single completion function, to
turn off the "end with the same substring" completion, while maintaining
the dash-separates-words aspect of the completion, so that

    k --r<TAB>

is considered fully ambiguous, and either cycles through the options or
lists the ambiguous completions, while

    k --r-r-w<TAB>

would consider --really-r1-word unambiguous and complete only it?

I think that would be a decent compromise in my mind.

Thanks,
Danek