Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
How to change description for _user_expand completions?
- X-seq: zsh-users 17212
- From: Pax Unix <paxunix@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-users@xxxxxxx
- Subject: How to change description for _user_expand completions?
- Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 11:28:31 -0700
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type; bh=4ws9mCn0x42E7F/KKvFMWvxoAez6Ie8avkNdEfuuE70=; b=PKJQogZ/OyIRIgtS+eFUXvWMKZ95tV2AVrAfoI9l+c+Oj+ZlFR876Wwm/g8g94F36Y qcJ/SrhR6/+gWEtV/E1RWX2xfj5WJf0bSgKRB8zX4ktki7ALFFqvTmJemJ1VqjZQ44Ue THIulJHqsNRm5ye4HXQsQbQCfZgcZ+Ixr9IMJ0WnwRpLaBljPLeIzm8mSRg85A6gkEpA FbCaBEjwUDltszbM/6kEPK9HG84WszkQdz49KinX6rFMGH32zKE9tHTx5Fg8rI8VVRSz W3y5a5rdSnMjOzsBVma0/qcpM7WMxiy6U2VWmvzBvSyXrcSI1/G6MpGIxxYjTE3Pdyf6 65jQ==
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
Many times the completion function I write works, but I've always got
the uneasy feeling that it works because of a certain amount of
coincidence instead of intent.
I feel like I only know just enough completion-system magic to be
dangerous, so I'd appreciate any guidance. It would be handy if there
were a zsh completion/expansion system cookbook. zshcompsys(1) and
zshcompwid(1) explain what's available, but I've found it difficult to
figure out the "correct" way to accomplish something and support all of
the other features (like configurable styles, etc.) for my functions.
My current problem: I've got a function called by _user_expand so I can
generate context-independent completions based on a particular prefix.
It works perfectly well, but the only description that ever appears is
either "all expansions" or "expansions" (or "original"). I want to
specify the description string from within my expander function,
tailored to the results I'm returning, rather than have to accept the
I thought I could call _describe, but I can't seem to find the correct
parameters to make it work.
Is this possible? Or since there could be any number of expansion
functions called, do the results have to all be lumped into the same
group because there's no tag information specific to each expander?
Messages sorted by: