Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Backgrounding part of 'ssh-agent $cmd'
- X-seq: zsh-users 17569
- From: Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-users@xxxxxxx
- Subject: Backgrounding part of 'ssh-agent $cmd'
- Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 08:59:51 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d= daniel.shahaf.name; h=date:from:to:subject:message-id :mime-version:content-type; s=mesmtp; bh=AEag3JAdabjtjzHyt/zC5Ba Yd3w=; b=Nw5yjkZjcHp+/ccsV/9pgst2yr6ORtTaOWXg/MXx4ed1HNyQF46eLcK FXOf+dA4h9Np76nrUbOnE8rORe61+T+Yd1hzuMhWyLwAQPcL/hqKrpnOdAZrSc/i 67L662pURaRt69beO0/rDdYgUqpyirRYyNRhXOdscMbPMeRN3OCo=
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d= messagingengine.com; h=date:from:to:subject:message-id :mime-version:content-type; s=smtpout; bh=AEag3JAdabjtjzHyt/zC5B aYd3w=; b=ObgV7q43I6Rs6f8Rwwesw0xF1Feeeti4+4fBS07Jzxa+/pYzRpFcFd Mxthq9bhSKpmj+mQHbBDDFNsqiPSqC9LZ0//jEeRhgM2Jj0/uuiQ7RpbpPu5WZCz wMuEFurLYiKpHwqacxyDrxFk0Sl0CCdYT01Cp4i11dzsXsuMdr2Cg=
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
tldr: I have a piece of code that prompts for password and then
establishes N ssh connections in the foreground, and I'd like the
SSH connections to be established in the background.
More specifically, my workflow involves establishing several 'ssh -MNf'
connections every morning, and running a command that prompts for
ssh-agent sh -x -e -c '
for h in host1 host2 host3; do
ssh -MNf $h &
foo_ssh_preseed # the workaround places an 'if' around this line
foo_internal # prompts for password; is interactive/long-running
Right now, what happens is:
ssh-add prompts for password
I wait while SSH connections are being established
foo_internal prompts for password
I can avoid the delay by running foo_ssh_preseed() in a new terminal
emulator tab; or by running it directly in the same tab, ^Zing it, and
then running foo_internal (while foo_ssh_preseed is doing its work).
I'd like to remove the complication of an extra tab or explicit ^Z:
I'd like the workflow to be
Answer ssh-add password prompt
# No interactive wait at this point.
Answer the foo_internal password prompt
(Use foo; the -MNf's will finish in a second or two.)
Messages sorted by: