ordering of file-patterns completions

I have a tool which needs one file-patterns for the first file matched, then the second and the rest should be of a different file-patterns. I don't see a way to do this.

Are there any examples of something similar to this around? Something like:

foo XXX.blah XXX-YYY.blah [XXX-ZZZ.blah]

What would even be better is if I had a way of handling the latter ones so that it only matched the "blah" portion from the first file to the rest.

TIA,
John