how to truncate an array

This should be dead simple, but I can't figure out how to do it. I have an array that can be
arbitrarily long, and I want to truncate it at 20 elements.

    setopt POSIX_STRINGS
    string[20]='\0'
    echo "string is now truncated: $string"

... I've tried every variation on the above theme that I can think of with no luck. I know that zsh likes to not truncate strings on 'null' but 'POSIX_STRINGS' is supposta force that, no? There must be a simple way to do this. I guess I still have C on the brain
but it seems to me that it is God's will that a null terminates a string ...