Building Zsh: No terminal handling library found - But I installed ncourses

Hi,

I am trying to install Zsh without root privileges on a Linux machine. I
downloaded the source tarball and run:

./configure --prefix=<my_installation_path>

but then I got:

configure: error: "No terminal handling library was found on your system.
This is probably a library called curses or ncurses. You may need to
install a package called 'curses-devel' or 'ncurses-devel' on your system"

Installing ncurses:

Since I am not root on this system, I downloaded ncurses and installed it
manually (also using ./configure --prefix=<my_installation_path>), which
seems to have gone well.

I then updated the following paths:

INSTALLATION_PATH='/path/to/installation'
export PATH=$INSTALLATION_PATH/bin/:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$INSTALLATION_PATH/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CFLAGS=-I$INSTALLATION_PATH/lib

and tried installing Zsh again, but got the same ncurses error. As far as I
can tell, the path variables above point to the right locations, and I can
check this on the shell.

Why is Zsh not recognizing ncurses?

Note: A copy of this question was posted on the Unix & Linux StackExchange
Q&A site:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/123597/building-zsh-no-terminal-handling-library-found

Josh