Re: note metadata for files

So, I'm pushing this more into the realm of OT here (ie, this no
longer has anything to do with zsh and for this reason and possibly
others, this discussion might want to go offlist)

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 6:50 AM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 04/07/2014 05:55, shawn wilson wrote:

>> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Peter Stephenson

>>> You might be interested in Oliver's article on using Linux file
>>> attributes for metadata with zsh:
>>>
>>> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/2126/
>
> As for xattrs, you'll want to check the XDG guidelines instead of
> redefining your own:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/CommonExtendedAttributes/

Heh, I had no idea there was a standard (kinda your point I guess) :)

> In case you're interested in the xattr compatibility issue, I've written
> a paper about this:
> http://dcevents.dublincore.org/IntConf/dc-2011/paper/view/53
> Sadly it seems nobody cares.

Hmmmm, so how far has your research gone here? What software ignores
xattr on which fs (how well does something like ncase deal with it)?
What security mechanisms rely on EAs and have you tried to mangle them
in order to bypass these mechanisms (either OS or application
policies)? I'd be more interested in the networked ramifications of
mangled EAs, but a copy from a thumb drive might be interesting as
well (though I doubt that would be very fruitful since moving into a
higher security realm is a bit harder in kernel space).