Re: spell check on the command line

On Oct 25, 10:17am, Eric Smith wrote:
}
} I cannot find the application "suggest" anywhere, what do you
} suggest?

No pun intended?

If you have ispell or aspell you can run them with the -a option and
parse the output.  I'm sure there's a way to do the same with hunspell
but I'm not familiar with the details.

It'd be something like

  suggest() {
    local tag misspelt count offset suggestions
    aspell -a |
    while read tag misspelt count offset suggestions
    do
      [[ $tag = \& ]] && print -R $misspelt ${${(s:, :)suggestions}[1]}
    done
  }

Beware that aspell might suggest that a word be split into two words,
rather than corrected to a different single word, so you probably want
to adjust the above to filter ${(s:, :)suggestions} before deciding
which one to print.

--
Barton E. Schaefer