completion

Peter, Oliver:

In chapter 10 of 'the book', at one point you start doing this:

    zstyle ':completion:::::' completer _complete _approximate

... I missed any leading explanation of what those five colons
are doing.

Playing with matcher-list, you have some good ideas there.
I currently have all that completion/matcher stuff copied in
from some website of sample .zshrc's  and it was all taken on
faith, since I hadn't the slightest clue how all that stuff works.
Since I'm now trying to understand it, the current line I have
contains this:

    zstyle ':completion:*' matcher-list    ...   'r:|[._-]=* r:|=* l:|=*'

... at the risk of insanity, what is that incantation doing, and
do I want it?  Gentle generalities are fine.