Re: print color escapes

On 01/01/2015 05:21 PM, Kurtis Rader wrote:

One of those was the DEC VT100. The "language" it recognized eventually became the winner. Winner in the sense that by the 1990s nearly all terminals implemented that language. That de-facto standard was eventually turned into standard ANSI X3.64 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code> which is now pretty much the only terminal control language you'll find in use.

I'm just realizing something that might not be true: In the old days, it would have been the hardware terminal itself that interpreted these codes, but now, it's my 'terminal emulator', not the screen itself, which is why it's called an 'emulator'. Correct? And I can't believe I'm saying this, but too bad that these control characters are part of the data stream, there should have been a 'vi' insert vs. control mode. One special char, and you're in control mode until you toggle out of it again.