Re: symlink chain.

On 01/02/2015 12:27 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
On Jan 2, 2015, at 1:42 PM, Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Do you think 'whence' would benefit from showing the chain if '-s' is specified? Maybe it's just me, but I want no surprises when I use whence, I want complete information about what any typed command it actually going to end up executing and a roadmap of any and all links as to how it got there.
I would consider this undesirable noise, and I think most users would agree. The point of `whence` is to "indicate how [the argument] would be interpreted if used as a command name". I don't care about the chain of links, I just want to know what ends up being run.
Yup, at the end of the day it's what people find useful. I myself have had so much grief for not realizing that the way whence 'jumps' like that is infact a jump, that I'm biased against it. I dunno, maybe '-S' could mean 'show the entire chain', but it looks like I'm the only guy who's worried about it and the devs have better things to think about. But I would change the symbol where this jumping happens "->>" or something like that, just so you know.