path problem when zsh is a login shell

I am new to zsh, so please be patient.  So if I use zsh as a login shell
I have in my /etc/zshenv
if [ -e /etc/profile.env ] ; then
	. /etc/profile.env
fi
umask 027
path=(
$PATH
)
Now tha /etc/profile.env puts amoung other things, lots of things on the
path.
Now in my .zprofile, I have on line 71 or thereabouts mkdir which is
not found and the path is apparently messed up in some way -- so what
strange thing am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here is my .zprofile

#
# Executes commands at login pre-zshrc.
#
# Authors:
#   Sorin Ionescu <sorin.ionescu@xxxxxxxxx>
#

#
# Browser
#

if [[ "$OSTYPE" == darwin* ]]; then
  export BROWSER='open'
fi

#
# Editors
#

export EDITOR='emacs'
export VISUAL='emacs'
export PAGER='less'

#
# Language
#

if [[ -z "$LANG" ]]; then
  export LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
fi

#
# Paths
#

# Ensure path arrays do not contain duplicates.
typeset -gU cdpath fpath mailpath path

# Set the the list of directories that cd searches.
# cdpath=(
#   $cdpath
# )

# Set the list of directories that Zsh searches for programs.

path=(
$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin:$HOME/bin
)

# Less
#

# Set the default Less options.
# Mouse-wheel scrolling has been disabled by -X (disable screen clearing).
# Remove -X and -F (exit if the content fits on one screen) to enable it.
export LESS='-F -g -i -M -R -S -w -X -z-4'

# Set the Less input preprocessor.
# Try both `lesspipe` and `lesspipe.sh` as either might exist on a system.
if (( $#commands[(i)lesspipe(|.sh)] )); then
  export LESSOPEN="| /usr/bin/env $commands[(i)lesspipe(|.sh)] %s 2>&-"
fi

#
# Temporary Files
#