problem with completion system

Hi.  I am new to zsh, so I hope I explain myself clearly.  When
completing things -- particularly files -- sometimes the system will
tell  me the choices and then place the cursor at the end of the first
choice, so if that is not the one I want, I must then backspace to the
point where I started and do again -- what I would like is for the
system to leave the cursorwhere it was so I can type some more.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici