can we detect the closing of a terminal?

Gentlemen:

Whenever I open a terminal I have a mechanism for passing to it knowledge of the current $PWD of any other open terminals. It's cumbersome but it works. Problem is that it's a one way thing in that when a terminal closes, that information is not passed, so there is orphan information. Is there some 'pre-close()' function for terminals? Sort of a suicide note? Or it might be about the same thing to have a function that's called before a shell exits 'zsh-pre-close()' , tho of course there can be several layers of shells in one terminal, but I guess that one can test for the 'zero' level shell in any given terminal. I'll bet there is one for the shell, but for the terminal that might be wishing upon a star.