error with zed

With this dummy function:

   function z ()
   {
      select selection in ${path[@]}
   }

I source it and run it:

$ z
    1) /aWorking/Bin      3) /usr/sbin          5) /sbin
    2) /usr/local/bin     4) /usr/bin           6) /bin

      MAKE A SELECTION ... 1

But trying to edit the function with zed:

    $ zed -f z

   z () {
            select selection in ${path[@]}

            done
   }

... and on exiting:

    (eval):4: parse error near `done'

So far I've only found one of my functions that I can't edit
with zed, and it boils down to the single line above.  God
knows where the 'done' is coming from.  The full length function
that throws this error runs just fine but zed won't eat it.