Re: suprise with -=

On 10/22/2015 08:43 AM, ZyX wrote:
22.10.2015, 18:31, "Ray Andrews" <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

It is not always wrong, BTW. E.g. VimL has no “parsing” stage, it always directly *executes* the input string, doing any parsing in process. This is why e.g. when calling

     :let var=[system("echo bar>baz"),

file `baz` will appear, but `var` will not get assigned due to parsing error: VimL executor does not see absense of `]` at the time it is executing `system()` call. Also meaning of
Well then I should be grateful for whatever parsing zsh does--at least it picks up clear errors in syntax. But as Bart says, semantics is not the same thing. One can think one understands these things but still have a brain full of deep errors. If I'd been involved in this 20 years ago I'd have written: "The Tao of shells--why everything a C coder thinks he knows about programming ain't necessarily so."