Why isn't zsh sourcing .zshenv ?

Just recently zsh (5.0.8) on my Mac is doing something weird.

This is most obvious because my $PROMPT is, well, like this:

http://images.luo.ma/skitch/zsh_not_sourcing_zshenv-20151114-142607.jpg

It appears that zsh is not sourcing my .zshenv. None of my aliases, etc are being added.

I have tested this in iTerm.app and Terminal.app and it does the same thing for both.

If I manually do 'source .zshenv' then everything is fine.

Now, my .zshenv is actually a link:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 luomat staff 22 Jul 10 17:36 .zshenv -> dotfiles/zsh/zshenv.sh

but that has been true for a long time, and zsh hasn't had a problem with it before.

Any help appreciated.

TjL