Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: How completions work, do they require fpath?
- X-seq: zsh-users 21184
- From: Sebastian Gniazdowski <sgniazdowski@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: How completions work, do they require fpath?
- Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 08:59:25 +0100
- Cc: Zsh Users <zsh-users@xxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc:content-type; bh=PpXQNzN1EKCBuSsgcL6PQncy8nYoBVqNW8xycluERtE=; b=fpnotUsfex9Qt8b5Yjimvaac2Bri7NpMeBqtrvVn/f29kOQ7QDcW6nTwK8/1fsqTbn yRaR356fgSuB0QYOypCNR9aKwjfJ08rqfX/vD/nkeIuYbud17E8Vo+jX4xYpBxjWMx1T YT1SdvMoMoDO/ZM8UiWkgmMk60E0Jocjuow0BMHVvlzqicZRAsx/meTIQ4YpifyCv79L s9JGOX65UvAQAIW6r8MHiJW07mr70uFBmFBQelU4ddLg+uvU4uMdJxxPOzJS6CzhwH1m B90uVvPcaoTTC1V8Rcquj1KPmcMjAVv4nbDaCG31PlIGn0qQJYILcCAy7vmdCtfssF9v CPAw==
- In-reply-to: <160126232017.ZM3789@torch.brasslantern.com>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <CAKc7PVCMPay34XS9up_CP-iZ79xPt2sZw35ngPBZZGN=_SRX_Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAKc7PVCqw_Z+RnjzwEtoRVLSE1A9JSyVQYpg1E=6u5em5qDdkg@mail.gmail.com> <160126232017.ZM3789@torch.brasslantern.com>
On 27 January 2016 at 08:20, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No, it doesn't contradict the manual. The check for a directory named
> "Base" is to distinguish "configure --enable-function-subdirs" from the
> default configuration which is to avoid creating subdirectories. If
> the "Base" directory is present it's expected to contain all the
> files from Completion/Base/ in the source tree, and although the
> explicit check is not done the directories AIX/, BSD/, Cygwin/, etc.
> are also expected to be found within $_compdir in that case.
So using _compdir would be a hack, and also, someone can utilize
_compdir for what's it's intended, and overwriting _compdir would
broke their setup.
> This is NOT an indication that you can co-opt these directories for
> plugins, nor is it "safe" to run compinit more than once with a new
> value of $_compdir -- I'm fairly sure you will mangle, or misuse, or
> both, the ~/.zcompdump file if you do so.
So it seems that fpath is needed. I saw Peter's email (workers/12379)
suggesting that work has been done to make fpath the choice for
providing new completions. I wanted to have fpath "clean", and I guess
I can still have it like this: create ~/.zplugin/completions, add it
to fpath, simlink any plugin's "_*" files there. But this will broke
if a completion uses autoload of some functions from plugin's
directory. A very rare case however, I guess.
Messages sorted by: