Re: Rotate shell words widget

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 12:07 AM, Sebastian Gniazdowski
<sgniazdowski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11 May 2016 at 23:21, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> What common usage did you have in mind for this?
>>
>> I presume rotate acts on $RBUFFER and rotate-backwards works on $LBUFFER
>> (approximately).
>
> I wasn't enough specific again? It rotates words in command line not
> letters in words.

No, you were quite clear that it acted on words, that wasn't my
question.  I used RBUFFER and LBUFFER as shorthand for "words found
after the cursor" and "words found before the cursor."  Now that
you've said this ...

> The usage is then I think clear, to go to some
> previous word, edit it, and put it in its original place again.

... I see that the difference is whether you rotate the last word to
the front or the first word to the end.  But why would you rotate the
words in order to edit one, rather than just move the cursor to the
word you want to change?

Also it looks like this always rotates all the words in the buffer, so
e.g. the last word moves to command position no matter what word the
cursor is on.  If the reason is to be able to edit a different word,
wouldn't it make more sense to move the word at the end to the cursor
(or the word at the cursor to the end)?

> Alternative to Alt-b in bindkey -e.

I don't follow that at all.  How is rotating words an alternative to
moving backward by one word?