Re: Next release (5.3)

Bart Schaefer wrote on Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 09:40:17 -0700:
> His suggestion is:
>
>     1. :a is as before
>     2. :A calls realpath, and does (1) only if there is no realpath
>
> (It's unclear to me whether there would be any reason to do (1) AFTER
> calling realpath.)

There shouldn't be.  POSIX specifies:

       The realpath() function shall derive, from the pathname pointed to by
       file_name, an absolute pathname that names the same file, whose
       resolution does not involve '.' , '..'  , or symbolic links.

(my emphasis)

> Does the re-statement above change anyone else's opinion about which
> alternative should be chosen?  Please note that I don't think there
> is any current zsh developer who is keen to rebuild realpath.

Re-build, of course not.  Copy a *BSD libc implementation, perhaps :-)