Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Next release (5.3)
- X-seq: zsh-users 21764
- From: Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-users@xxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Next release (5.3)
- Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 10:36:27 -0700
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=brasslantern-com.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=from:message-id:date:in-reply-to:comments:references:to:subject :mime-version; bh=gE0dgnvphZUHhbzOVs8taznWuOdICpeePHJ75pSctpw=; b=kSH59g5DfIzocGywbnwCSrfX1FjpM9fiqQzrgVplWxAE71hcHHu/JzvxEeaHZVgN82 oAV9dznCTYzGmSM6gYGPz8DQe5aR6CMUekhls2IfLrJq2STgDFTfXh9LzkD0XYjatcME K0Ze20Ch/1Xld+xbTprqaHihdQEWv9WplDVicA0X+/iaJtwfYlrbHK/DrO6wrKqfW0bC Wt01Paz0HlBaAzqGj4HhZMWPPIPvaG1f13/x8S4Z8TWmWP+ZXirxILlCkgYAx7b/wFe8 fcG+0d3hB0yTxr+yrKE8XL+BN1P7bWJnsZNL44XXujonF6AirYw29gH13YONjFiIVGh8 Rnhw==
- In-reply-to: <20160713074151.GH1537@isis.sigpipe.cz>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <20160712075849.GG1537@isis.sigpipe.cz> <160712094017.ZM17395@torch.brasslantern.com> <20160713074151.GH1537@isis.sigpipe.cz>
On Jul 13, 9:41am, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
} i agree with Daniel regarding limited utility of :a, and i already
} (mis)use :A as if it was doing 2.
Cf. PWS's example script RE utility of :a / current :A.
} > The emerging consensus seems to be for:
} > 1. :a is as before
} > 2. :A is as before
} > 3. new modifier calls realpath and does (1) if no realpath
} re "does (1) if no realpath": really (1), not (2)?
Well, if no realpath, then (1) and (2) are the same, so ...
} in order of decreasing preference:
} 1 change the meaning of :A so that it is equivalent to realpath(3)
} where it exists and to :a on systems without realpath(3)
} 2 new modifier that calls realpath(3) with fallback to :A
} 3 new modifier that calls realpath(3) with fallback to :a
... there's no useful distinction between your #2 and #3.
} if i could have a pony then the most favorable solution would be
} 0 change the meaning of :A so that it is always equivalent to
} realpath(3), using an implementation bundled with Zsh where
Noted. Somewhat more likely would be a new modifier that implements
realpath by stealing code from somewhere that is licensing-compatible.
Messages sorted by: