Shift-Insert erratic behavior in edit-command-line vim

I use ESC-e (edit-command-line) to edit the current command line in vim.
Usually in vim Insert mode, I can use Shift-Insert to insert X PRIMARY
selection, but for some reason, it doesn't work here.
Instead, vim would enter Normal mode and execute... something, e.g.,

% abc
ESC-e executes: /usr/bin/vim -c "normal! 4go" -- /tmp/zshzgtQpk

Inside vim, press "i" to enter Insert mode,

abc

The content of my PRIMARY selection is "x". Press Shift-Insert, becomes

ac

Vim has entered Normal mode.
Now I press "u" (3 times) to undo and see what happened,
Ac
Abc
abc

I have no idea how this happened.

So, can you reproduce this?
Why is it happening and how to solve it?