Re: zregexparse

On Apr 1, 12:21pm, Sebastian Gniazdowski wrote:
} Subject: Re: zregexparse
}
} On 31 march 2017 at 23:15:31, Bart Schaefer (schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
} > The return values from zregexparse are pretty strongly tailored to be
} > used with compset and compadd, and it does nothing useful with $match
} > and friends -- it's not tied into glob pattern referencing at all.
}
} Let me just express regret about this outcome.

It's not so much an "outcome" as a statement of fact.  zregexparse was
written to solve a particular problem.  At the time there was no reason
to consider having a generalized regex library; the =~ operator (and
the ability to have modules define operators) had not yet been added.
This is just one of the corners of the code that has not been paid
any attention in a very long time (it's essentially unchanged since
2001 or so).

} One IRC user once reported problems
} with some completions, because he sincerely configured BSD port as
} static build (no zsh/regex by default). I then quickly removed regex
} usage from _hosts, but the patch wasn't accepted

If you're referring to your post from March 8th, this appears to have
been a case of something missed because no one had time to commit it
right then, not an intentional rejection.