Re: multios stripping colors?

On 31/01/18 11:30 PM, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
Ray Andrews wrote:
      $   eval "$@"

That line in a function of mine can successfully eat some very complex
input including various pipes and color codes.  However, when I try this:
eval "eats" only shell syntax. Colour codes are eaten by your
terminal. Perhaps you contrived to prevent them being generated or
constructed something to filter them out.
Of course.  Here's a current example:

            _execute aptitude search \'$iinst ?description($1)\' '|' egrep --color \'^\|$1\ $ggrep_oneline\'

'_execute' is a function that contains the above 'eval' plus a few other things.  As I run it with the line just above, I get 'aptitude' output colored via egrep ....

$ eval "$@" >&2 >! /tmp/_output

Although I do get both outputs, the screen looses all colorized output
... but again, if I do it this way the output to the screen goes B&W.
There is nothing intrinsic to your construct that loses colour escape
sequences. Try the following:

   eval "print -P '%K{blue}Hello'" >&2 >! /tmp/_output
   cat /tmp/_output

This should give you a blue background from both commands.
Right, so it does.

So you might need to take a closer look at exactly what argument you are
passing to eval.

Some commands, make coloured output conditional on whether their
standard output points to a terminal. For an example, try:
   git log | cat

Maybe that's it.  So is 'aptitude' or 'egrep' itself determining that color is not to be had due to the double output?  Sounds likely, I know that the greps all behave differently when receiving piped input than when not.  And I'm correct that if one output is modified the other will be too?

Thanks, I'll play with it a bit more.

Oliver