Anyone familiar with auto-fu.zsh project?

Hello,
last commit to the project is from 2013 and I cannot get it up and
running. Is anyone familiar with its method of functioning? A friend
guesses it pretends <tab> key to be pressed after each character, is
that true? It would then mean it constantly shows completions under
prompt. Is using shell this way actually possible?

In general, I'm looking for a method of calling completion functions
manually and presenting the results in different form. Does someone
know anything about this problem?

--
Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski