Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: Zsh as default in Mac OS 15 / zsh "primer"?
- X-seq: zsh-users 23963
- From: Peter Stephenson <p.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: <zsh-users@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Zsh as default in Mac OS 15 / zsh "primer"?
- Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 11:05:24 +0100
- Cms-type: 201P
- Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 mailout2.w1.samsung.com 20190604100527euoutp02e012ec0641e4d57a74c59870944c2f23~k9swPST7s2994129941euoutp02W
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=samsung.com; s=mail20170921; t=1559642727; bh=OVG0cJorzXzdHXna6HJYJN8Nn37GoXOssS2pHWudOUA=; h=Subject:From:To:Date:In-Reply-To:References:From; b=NRSipfI8CYGb8qpKvtsONqExmfiYiL9sfFL66AkwmKthEyOf5KNARUw2Z53s5vyKh aeHWVKeCVZ765Y+vxphcLTM6f/j/oCnOnBdFGSR1X4c2TKS0NA5aUhpPHwjU8urkbb CU6eWLS5TVo9REuuEngEF/VJPMlkogXMbD0gMbz8=
- In-reply-to: <CADjGqHsp9H6t9w2Uj_cBgfec5ujqbsrh2mZJSpYQgDRzhkxcYg@mail.gmail.com>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <CGME20190603211054epcas3p13d2d7fc82fb0488bed593ba58fbdf763@epcas3p1.samsung.com> <CADjGqHsp9H6t9w2Uj_cBgfec5ujqbsrh2mZJSpYQgDRzhkxcYg@mail.gmail.com>
On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 17:07 -0400, TJ Luoma wrote:
> I've been told that zsh is the default shell in the new version of
> macOS "Catalina".
> Someone just asked me if I had a quick primer on why zsh is "better"
> than other shells.
> I've never really used others so I don't really know much about it, so
> I wasn't sure what to suggest other than Googling,
The classic introduction to this is the intro.ms file in the Doc directory of
the source. That goes right back to the earlier days, so doesn't mention
programmable completion, but is a pretty good introduction to why zsh
was different in the first place.
The format it's in shows it's age. You might be best simply to do something
nroff -ms intro.ms| colcrt | uniq >intro.txt
Messages sorted by: