strange problem with completion

Hi.  I have a very odd problem with zsh.  If I type the scp command
and try to do any completion I get the following
_alternative:71: command not found:
and types a possible additional string, if I hit enter, I get a blank
line and have to hit ctrl-c to get out.  The number 71 may change if I
do it again.

How can I trace how zsh got me into that strange state?  This only
happens with scp and I don't have any aliases changing scp.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una