help for writing GNU stow completion

Hello,

I started working on a completion script for GNU Stow. The work in
progress version is visible on github
(https://github.com/zsh-users/zsh/pull/36/files). It works, but I'm
stuck on the evaluation of a variable like "$HOME"....

Context: GNU Stow is a symbolic link manager, which is based on packages
stored in a directory (the '--dir' option). The completion allows to
propose the packages present in this directory.

From the command line, when I try to complete something like this:

    % stow --dir=$HOME/.dotfiles/

I get: 'no packages found in $HOME/.dotfiles/'

It seems that "$HOME" is not evaluated, and it is the same with "~". Is
there a way to evaluate these elements?

Thank's

--
Aur??lien