help with installing and correctly configuring zsh on an amd 64 box running gentoo stable

I am running gentoo stable on FX 8350 box. I installed zsh following
instructions given on gentoo wiki pages.
I did it quite correctly because when I first ran chsh -s /bin/zsh  instead
of running the start up script it asked for a password to
be entered.

Apparently that is a bad thing.

My .zshrc file is in my /home/user directory:

bucketlist /home/mikef # more .zshrc
#~!/bin/zsh

#Completion
autoload -U compinit
compinit

# Correction

setopt correctall

#Prompt

autoload -U promptinit
promptinit
prompt gentoo
bucketlist /home/mikef #

My /etc/shells file looks like this:

mikef@bucketlist /etc % more shells
# /etc/shells: valid login shells
/bin/bash
/bin/csh
/bin/dash
/bin/esh
/bin/fish
/bin/ksh
/bin/mksh
/bin/sash
/bin/sh
/bin/tcsh
/bin/zsh
mikef@bucketlist /etc %

I think I have managed to install zsh:

mikef@bucketlist /etc % equery l zsh
 * Searching for zsh ...
[IP-] [  ] app-shells/zsh-5.8:0
mikef@bucketlist /etc %

mikef@bucketlist /etc % echo "My current shell is $SHELL ($0)"
My current shell is /bin/zsh (zsh)
mikef@bucketlist /etc %

If you know of any diagnostic tests to check whether zsh is really running
properly or not I would appreciate it.

My fear is that it has been installed in an incorrect or half-cocked
fashion.

Comments appreciated.

Regards

Michael Fothergill