Re: _pick_variant

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 2:42 AM Roman Perepelitsa
<roman.perepelitsa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The clash isn't with an existing command but rather with a completion
> function that's included in zsh.

It is conceivably possible to rewrite compinit such that it does not
install completions for commands not found in $path, but as you
mention in a later message in this thread, that will increase startup
time, and/or has to be incorporated into the .zcompdump cache.

> My latest similar clash was with the open command. This is a macOS
> command but I'm using Linux, so I cannot even have the open command
> that _open expects.

That's why _open is in the Completion/Darwin subtree; in an ideal
world, a linux install would omit files in that subtree from $fpath.
In practice, everybody seems to install everything everywhere.