question mark in filename.

Not that there should ever be such a thing, but I was curious:  I throw strings around mostly successfully but not with the stupid question mark:

   function test1 ()
   {
        input=( "$@" )         # 'input' is fine: "ls s,7*"
        eval $input            # this works fine.
        output=( $(eval ${()input}) )
        print "$output"        # ... but 'output' looses the question
   marks.
   }

   function test2 ()
   {
        string="ls s,7*"       # 'ls' finds: 's,7,big?improvements?in?code'
        test1 $string
   }

   $ . test; test2
   s,7,big?improvements?in?code
   s,7,big improvements in code

I've tried various invocations in the parenthesis, I thought '(q)' should work but no luck.  I'm know that protecting special characters is possible.  'output' prefers to be separate words, broken on the '?' but the outer parenthesis at least get it all back on one line.