command recall

I have:

INC_APPEND_HISTORY
SHARE_HISTORY

... set and my up arrow is:
bindkey "\e[A" history-beginning-search-backward

When I type '$ history' what happens in one terminal is immediately shown in the history list in any other terminal as I'd expect, however the up arrow key does not show the most recent global command.  If I type 'history' in some terminal and then hit the up arrow, it is now the most recent command but not otherwise.  Can I get up arrow to be up to the moment the same way that 'history' is? Actually it would be cool to be able to quickly toggle that on or off, so I could have a terminal isolated from global history or not as I choose. I'd expect 'history-beginning-search-backward' to obey the intent of the two options set above.