debug functions

Hello, I would like to activate the same behaviour of functions -T function_name, but for the current scope, ie the function already been called.
something like:

function_name (){
  functions -T $0
fname

this doesn't work, I think because the tracing starts when the function is called.
I know I can do setopt xtrace, but this debugs also the functions called from now on, functions -T does not.
Is there a way to activate debug for the current scope only?
thanks

Pier Paolo Grassi