read -sq

If I use 'read -sq' and don't press 'y' (to do whatever), if the non 'y' key is some normal alphabetic key, it is not echoed to the terminal as '-s' indicates is correct, but if I use another key -- an arrow or DEL or END or one of those, it is echoed.  Can that be prevented?  Not a big deal but I use the down arrow to break back to a clean command line routinely so after a 'read -sq' I see " [B " on the command line.