Re: alias with a parameter

>> On 05 Apr 2021, at 16:55, dukeofpurl@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> > em() { emacs $1 -geometry "56x23" }

> No error! It simply won't load the filename I pass to the zsh function.

works for me.  maybe 'emacs' is aliased or otherwise overriden?

% whence -va emacs

add 'echo' before 'emacs' and see what it prints?

what if you directly run

% emacs ./hello.c -geometry "56x23"

does it load hello.c then?

I thought maybe emacs might not like the -geometry argument after the
filename, but it works for me.

Maybe a problem with your .emacs?  Try adding '-q' to the emacs
invocation to test that hypotheses, however, then you'd see the same
problem running emacs directly above.

btw, you might consider:

em() { emacs -geometry "56x23" "$@" }

which lets you pass any number of files (including none)

Greg