Re: How to complete with _arguments() depending on an option and within a loop

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 11:11 AM Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 6:44 AM Philippe Proulx <eeppeliteloop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >     $ beep --device --new <tab>
> >
> > Zsh offers `--device` again, because the completion script "saw" the
> > `--new` word, without taking any parsing into account.
>
> What everybody seems to forget about completion is that it's supposed
> to save the user typing time, not save the user from thinkos.  If the
> user is uncomprehending enough to select --device twice just because
> completion offered it, it's not our job to come to the rescue.

You'd love Bash then!

I believe the complexity of Zsh completion can translate into better
command line UX.

Why would _argument() support not repeating an option (the default)
then (`--opt[my option]` vs `*--opt[my option]`)?

Phil