<Tab> completion does not insert a slash

Hello zshers,

my <Tab> completion configuration in .zshrc is quite a mess, and it shows.
The result of the completion is quite unpredictable when it comes to the trailing slash.

Sometimes (for example, with 'git add'), pressing <Tab> inserts a directory name followed by a shlash.
If I had a modified file in aaa/bbb/ccc, pressing a <Tab> 4 times would complete the whole command.

git add <Tab>aaa/<Tab>bbb/<Tab>ccc/<Tab>file.py

Other times (e.g. with the 'cd' command), pressing <Tab> would insert just the directory name, without the trailing slash.
Sometimes I need to press <Tab> two or even three (!) times to produce the slash. Or just press the slash key, that's faster.

cd <Tab>aaa<Tab><Tab><Tab>/bbb, etc.

I remember when I started using Zsh, the completion engine would insert a bold slash, which was either kept or removed depending on the further action.

As I said, I have a lot of settings in my .zshrc and I don't know which of them could make the change in completion behavior. Could you kindly point me where to start or how to trace the problem?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Peter