ctrl w behaviour: jump in front of separating characters?

my $WORDCHARS is set to ''.

Consider the following path: ls -l -a --color /long/path/with-some-things/to/consider.txt

the following lines represent the modification by pressing ctrl + w each time:

ls -l -a --color /long/path/with-some-things/to/consider.

ls -l -a --color /long/path/with-some-things/to/

ls -l -a --color /long/path/with-some-things/

ls -l -a --color /long/path/with-some-

ls -l -a --color /long/path/with-

ls -l -a --color /long/path/

ls -l -a --color /long/

ls -l -a --color /

ls -l -a --

What I actually want is that it goes from

ls -l -a --color /

ls -l -a --color

and after that to

ls -l -a

is that even possible just with setting the WORDCHARS accordingly?

It seems the problem would be solved by jumping before the separator and not staying behind it

That would result in the following sequence (I guess)

ls -l -a --color /long/path/with-some-things/to/consider

ls -l -a --color /long/path/with-some-things/to

ls -l -a --color /long/path/with-some-things

ls -l -a --color /long/path/with-some

ls -l -a --color /long/path/with

ls -l -a --color /long/path

ls -l -a --color /long

ls -l -a --color # mind the blank, which is unwanted too

ls -l -a # that unwanted blank again