Can $PATH look into sub-folders?

It is my understanding the zsh (and others) do not usually look into sub-folders of $PATH for commands.

For example, if /usr/local/bin/ is in my $PATH and I have a folder /usr/local/bin/private/ then zsh would not ‘see’ any scripts/utilities/etc that were in /usr/local/bin/private/ unless I specifically added /usr/local/bin/private/ to my $PATH.

That seems to be my experience, at least.

My question is whether or not there is an option (a zsh-specific option is fine) which would tell zsh to include sub-folders of $PATH folders without having to explicitly add them all to $PATH.

As always, thanks for your help,

~ Tj