Re: less with subprocess

On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 12:46:12AM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> On the other hand I wonder what kind of command would generate an
> awful lot of output quickly which can still be overlooked manually
> in less.

In the initial message you mentioned long running find commands.
A quick check on my Devuan system shows:

  $ find / | wc
   404059  465820 24085840

So, ~24 MB output from ~400.000 paths on a desktop system with
relatively few installed packets.  Make that twice as much on a
fancy, super flashy desktop.  Maybe add network filesystems.  Does
an upper bound of about 100 MB temporary disk space really matter?

It's hard to imagine a system where 100 MB disk space are too
much, but 100 MB memory are not.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--