How to efficiently allow * in a cml string

I don't fancy the idea of always using a backslash * to escape the asterisk for a simple script I wrote and one which will never use the * as a wildcard character.

For now I'm using a '@' in it's stead and doing a :gs/@/* to change the @'s into *'.

But, I really want to use the * as is and not have to use @ and then convert it.

Is there some way the invoiked script can reach into the buffer before zsh complains about the *.

I've tried:  'unsetop GLOB' but that didn't work.

Simple example: How can I get a script to do 2*4 in the below simple version:

	$  calculate  2*4

Thanks.