Re: Shell startup, aliases vs. functions vs. autoloadable functions, and zcompile benefits

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 9:27 AM Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It would be very useful to have an option to benchmark normal
> interactive shells instead of login shells

Sounds useful indeed. I added `--login no` (the default is yes).

> Also, you recommend against zcompiling .zshrc in your document, but
> first_command_lag_ms=56.709
> first_prompt_lag_ms=42.367
> exit_time_ms=40.885
>
> Increasing startup time by 33% seems like a bad tradeoff to me, then
> again, I know exactly how things work and am not likely to make the
> mistake you mention.

In the document I recommend that publishers of zsh configuration
frameworks (think ohmyzsh, etc.) not zcompile user rc files by
default.

FWIW, I zcompile my own rc files, although I do it in a way that
avoids issues caused by mtime and missing source files (I don't
mention the latter problem in the doc; basically, if you zcompile an
rc file and remove the source, the rc file will still be in effect).
The only downside I get from zcompiling is that aliases get expanded
differently but that's fine with me.