Re: Suggestions for autogenerating function names to wrap the same code?

On 3/22/22, Steve Dondley <s@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So I have these two functions:
>
> function task() {
>     task_wrapper.pl $funcstack[1] "$@"
> }
>
> function tc() {
>     task_wrapper.pl $funcstack[1] "$@“
>
> }
>
> They are both wrappers for the same perl script which does its thing based
> on the value of $funcstack[1];
>
> Works, but I’m wondering if I can spare myself the job remembering to create
> a new function for each and every new perl function I want to write.
>
> I could write a little script to pull out the subroutine names from the perl
> script and dump them into a file sourced by zsh and then reload zsh.
>
> Wondering if there might be some cool feature of zsh I don’t know about to
> assist with creating these functions on-the-fly.

You can define multiple functions like this:
function f1 f2 f3 f4() {
  this body is shared by functions f1 f2 f3 and f4
}

and you can copy them like this (somewhat newer feature)
functions -c f1 g1

so if you can get all the function names in an array, you could just say:
task_func_names=( $(script to pull names out) )
function $task_func_names() {
  task_wrapper.pl $funcstack[1] "$@"

Mikael Magnusson