Re: zprofile and .profile sourcing

On Thu, 8 Sept 2022 at 23:45, Piscium <groknok@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks. That, together with Eric's answer, solves my question.
> Thanks to you both, and to the zsh developers for a great shell.

The topic of my original email was to ask for help. I got it, that
topic is closed. However I will go now outside topic to describe what
happened next as it could be useful to some people.

The original issue was my wrong understanding about two things, 'zsh
emulate' and lightdm. That was corrected. But then I thought to myself
that I still knew very little about lightdm, and wondered if there
were simpler alternatives that were easier to fully grasp. After
spending quite a few hours looking at all the console display managers
listed in the Arch wiki [1], I felt no enthusiasm for any so decided
to not use a display manager and instead use xinit. I followed the
excellent instructions in the Arch wiki [2]. Now after I enter my user
name and password at the console I am brought into Xfce, and if I log
out from Xfce I come back to the console. I already converted two
desktops and one laptop to this solution. I have been using this for a
few days and all is well. For me one of the advantages of xinit over
the console display managers is that xinit is much easier to grasp and
configure. Moral of the story, I think xinit is underrated, and
display managers are overrated!

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Display_manager#Console
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xinit