$_tty is gone after system upgrade

I'm upgrading my system from Debian 9 to Debian 11 and my zsh is now whatever Debian installed (vs. old system where I was running Roman's pre-build). Prompt is:

    PS1=$'\n$_tty $_yel%d $_mag$cc$_nrm $ '

... which returned just the number of the current terminal on the old system but now

    $ echo $_tty

... returns nothing.

    $ echo $TTY

... shows " /dev/pts/3 " and of course I can strip that down to just the number, but still it seems strange that " $_tty " is gone.  What's the story?