Re: control caracters

On 10/21/22, Pier Paolo Grassi <pierpaolog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello, I was wondering if there is a way for the shell to bind capitalized
> ctrl-keys to different widgets then the non-capitalized counterpart. it
> seems to me that this is not possible from testing and by using ctrl-v that
> produces the same output for the capitalized and non-capitalized version of
> the same letter. I have the understanding that this can be due to
> historical reasons, being that the ctrl version of the keys corresponds to
> the first 31 bytes of the ascii standard (NUL to @, SOH to A etc, taken
> from man ascii). I would like to understand this better, if someone has a
> link to offer with details on the internals of how this works, and why the
> shell are (if this assumption holds true) still bound to work with this
> constraints.

This would be up to the terminal, in urxvt in particular you can do
this in your x resources (for each key):
URxvt.keysym.C-S-A: \001
but with another output than ^A, I leave that up to your imagination.
(note that ctrl-shift-[0-9a-f] in urxvt can also be configured to
input characters via iso14755, but this configuration will override
that).

--
Mikael Magnusson