Re: associative array questions

On 2022-12-11 13:41, Bart Schaefer wrote:

Parsing has to happen first, otherwise it's not possible to find what
to substitute ...
I should say that I thought substitution happened before assignment.  But if I could watch how the wheels actually spin no doubt some of my naive assumptions would vanish.

   typeset -g -- "${aarray}[second]"='tea for two'

I had no idea typeset could be used like that!  It  has the intuitive directness that I was hunting for.